9 Facts About the Plagiarism that You Ought to Learn
One of the major problems not only in the academe but also in the corporate world, entertainment arena, and all other avenues is plagiarism. There are various problems arising on the grounds of the critical issue of plagiarism. This stems from the reason that he notion of plagiarism to many people is still vague or unclear. Plagiarism being an act of intellectual dishonesty is defined by the acts of stealing the ideas and innovations of others and trying to show ownership of these. Here are relevant facts to learn about plagiarism:
- Plagiarism is a crime regardless of whether or not you are consciously or unconsciously doing it. There are copyright laws violated if this is committed.
- It is of much importance to go over your work many times to check if plagiarism does not take place. Properly cite your sources to be able to avoid the consequences of the crime like paying a huge amount of fine.
- Active participation of teachers in the research paper made by their students help minimize plagiarism. Most participative teachers are also active in discouraging students to engage in such crime. Furthermore, students are enthused if their work is recognized and are given considerations by the teachers.
- There are some cases wherein the research topics given by teachers are not that appealing to students thus, leading to a unenthusiastic study. When students donТt have the drive to know more about the topic, there is a big chance for plagiarism to occur as students find less initiative to do an intensive self-study.
- The consequences of plagiarism are not only felt by those who do it but also by other people most especially the original writer or inventor. It is a violation of oneТs right to his/her own intellectual property when people do not give due credit to the creator of the original work. The teachers and students around you may also be affected, so as their views about you.
- In the academe, students who plagiarize are given disciplinary actions through punishments. Such punishments may take form as violation charges, suspension and worst, expulsion. This is to strongly address the almost habitual acts of plagiarism.
- Rules on plagiarism and sanctions to it are introduced at the very moment students are admitted to the schools. The promulgation may take place during school orientation.
- Plagiarism mostly occurs in good schools based on statistics. It was found out that about half of the student population in US find it hard to distinguish plagiarism from research. This serves as an excuse for them to continue using the ideas of either as their own. There is even a misconception among American students that in order to do well in their classes and school work, plagiarism is needed.
- Not all articles in the internet are protected by copyright laws and some contents in the certain websites are totally accessible to the public but these are not valid excuses to still plagiarize. These do not give a leeway to copy the work of others.
Internet connection is available worldwide and more and more people use it either for good or bad purposes. With this, rampant plagiarism comes along. But there are also some ways to minimize this problem of intellectual dishonesty.
- The innovations of softwares that could help limit plagiarism are already available now. Example of these softwares is www.plagiarismsearch.com.
- There are some instances wherein unplanned plagiarism happens even though proper citations are already done.